Saturday, October 29, 2011

Amsterdam

I am in desperate need of sleep but wanted to update before I forgot everything.

So last night Csilla informs me that she ended up purchasing more beer than she had intended and then asked if I would be interested in partying in Utrecht. Being as I've been in Rotterdam for the past few weeks (and that I did absolutely NOTHING last weekend) I was all for it. Yet her friend in Utrecht was way behind on schoolwork, apparently, and wouldn't be able to host us. But I (yes, me) had the brilliant idea of going to Amsterdam instead, and just hanging there all night since Csilla needed to pick up her little bro from the airport at 9 this morning. Winner of Good Ideas Award goes to me.

We roll into A-dam like champs around 11 and have no clear plans on where to go (natuurlijk) but we ended up finding our boat that we adopted from our previous trip.

See? We found it. It may not look much like a boat, but I assure you it is.

Then we ended up traversing to Leidseplein... took a lot longer than expected. Ran into a trio from South Africa who were very friendly and entertaining. Made friends with two Romanian fellows who also had no game plan and we ended up wandering around Amsterdam from like 3:30 to 5:00 looking for a bar, coffeeshop, or toilet that was open. Nothing. Apparently the entire city shuts down after 3:00. There were no WC's in the open McDonalds'and I was dying. I almost got denied at the Central Station because I didn't have a ticket but I ended up talking my way into using one anyway.

We continue a fruitless search for any warm place that was still open--nothing. So we climb atop a statue of a lion and go into what I remember being a halfway point between meditation and nap. It wasn't super cold or anything but there was definitely a chill to the stone. So we go back to Central (and by that time they're letting people in like normal). We find some couches that we're not supposed to occupy, really, because it wasn't a waiting room (but Csilla has such a way of endearing authority) and they agree to let us sit there--provided we didn't sleep--until the Centraal cops kicked us out. "Sure-- we just want to sit for a few minutes. Sure, no sleeping."
The no sleeping part was hard-- it was freaking 6:00 in the morning.

Around 7 Csilla and I left for Schiphol to wait on her brother to arrive. His plane didn't come until 9:15 and the couple of hours we were there were the longest. But we were in good company. Her brother made it safely and man... Hungarian is sooooo strange sounding. As is Icelandic. Oh speaking of Icelandic, and this is super sad, Ásta is having to go back to Iceland soon-- Nov 16 ish. :C Not nice. Something to do with custody battles and her host mom fleeing the country with her child. Shit's serious. But I'm superbummed about her leaving. But I'll end this on a positive note.
Adorable!

And Csilla's kinda amazing...
Cause that bag wasn't light... and her bro isn't either. :) Haha

No comments:

Post a Comment